Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My mom (a.k.a. Actress Granny Jane making a funny face up in the right-hand corner of my banner) was in town last week, and we made time for a visit with the Welsches, two of our biggest inspirations and greatest cheerleaders.

Mrs. Welsch was my creative arts teacher at West Columbia Elementary School, and boy was she fun! I loved everything we did in her
class -- drawing, painting, singing, square dancing, puppet shows and plays -- and I loved her even more. She always made me feel welcome in her classroom, and I had no doubt that I was the most creative, artistic child ever to step through her door. Her home studio reflects her whimsical approach to art:




She was quick to give credit to her creative counterpart for building her art studio. Mr. Welsch is a very artistic fellow himself, although his palette typically consists of tenderly nurtured plants and carefully measured lengths of wood. His precision beautifully balances her whimsy:




Both Welsches have made an enormous impact on life in the West Columbia area and beyond, she as an energetic teacher and volunteer, and he as a school superintendent and personal mentor. My mom and I are living testimonies to their influence and encouragement. Do you see the warm connection that flows out from them? This is not a pose but simple, constant reality:


How do I begin to thank you for the ways in which you helped to shape my life, Mr. and Mrs. Welsch? I hope that these images of yourselves will let you see what the rest of us see in you -- zest for life, generosity of spirit and a knack for making the world a more beautiful place.

This resurrection life you received from God
is not a timid, grave-tending life.
It's adventurously expectant,
greeting God with a childlike, "What's next, Papa?"
God's Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are.
We know who He is, and we know who we are:
Father and children.
And we know we are going to get what's coming to us --
an unbelievable inheritance!
Romans 8:15-17 MESSAGE

2 comments:

  1. I cherish the memories of art class with Mrs. Welsh! It's great to see the two of them in living color. Now if I could only remember the words to "Little Red Schoolhouse".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be happy to teach it to you! I used to make Lianne sing it with me as we were "going to sleep."

    ReplyDelete