Sunday, August 30, 2009

I hope that all of our servicemen and women receive the kind of support that is poured out in Brazoria County. First responders plus members of the Brazoria County Cavalry turned out in full force yesterday to honor one of our fallen heroes, Jon Rape. The Angleton Fire Department brought their truck to Jon's memorial service and used it to display flags and a pair of firefighter boots:


Then more firefighters, police officers, constables, and the Sheriff's Office Honor Guard made their way toward the church in a grand procession:


Cavalry riders brought up the rear:



I climbed up on the firetruck to try to get a view of the procession as it made its way up Highway 35. No, I didn't go up in the bucket (although the offer was made).


Thanks for keeping me from falling off, Lieutenant Gamez!


I safely made it back down again just in time to get these shots of bagpiper Deputy Constable Taylor:


It seems as if every day's local newspaper brings word of send-offs, homecoming celebrations, and memorial processions orchestrated by these fine folks. Each one says it's an honor to be able to serve those who are sacrificing so much for the rest of us. I say -- thank you for helping me better understand the meaning of these words:
No one has greater love
[no one has shown stronger affection]
than to lay down
[give up]
his own life for his friends.
John 15:13 Amplified

1 comment:

  1. Wow Laurie! Your words and pictures are absolutely beautiful and inspiring. It does my heart good to know that with all the bad we hear, there is so much good in this wonderful country I am so proud to call home. God Bless America!!!!!

    ReplyDelete