Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I suspect I've been putting off this final Ireland post because I want to continue to pretend that I'm on vacation. In Ireland.

Or maybe I've just been too busy running around doing non-photography things to be able to sit down and focus on blogging. For a month.

Either way, today seems to be a good day to wrap up Ireland and begin to move on to new adventures. So here we go!

Our final sightseeing stop was Kilfenora. I had hoped to join in on a ceili for some Irish set-dancing, but I gave up on persuading my traveling companions to hang around long enough for that. Instead we visited the town's tiny ruined church and graveyard, all of which sparkled in the afternoon sunlight.




If you look closely, you'll see Love on this cross-shaped headstone:

The Great Potato Famine nearly wiped out this church parish, so Pope Pius IX declared himself its bishop in order to keep the doors open.



Given my Quaker preferences for simple worship services and humble church buildings, I was surprised to feel such a connection with Ireland's once-ornate churches. Now I better grasp that adoration truly is adoration, no matter what form it takes.


Here are some fine examples of Celtic high crosses inside and outside of the church. When Christianity was brought to Ireland in the 5th century, early pagan Celts used cross shapes to represent the trees they worshiped, along with circles to represent the sun, one of their most important symbols of life. Legend has it that Saint Patrick merged the two symbols into what is now known as the Celtic cross as a way to help the Celts understand that Christ is Lord of all.




One of the reasons we decided not to hang around Kilfenora for dinner and dancing was that we wanted to have dinner at Ballinalacken, the castle near our cottage. This was a much different castle dining experience than Dunguaire had been. For starters, the restaurant is in the O'Brien home next to the castle, and it was a peaceful meal instead of a medieval experience.
We each sampled a different delectable entree, but we all shared the staples of every fine Irish meal: steamed vegetables and three kinds of potatoes.


And why did we not think of this before? Finally, a shot of all four of us taken by our friendly waiter.


The next morning we said goodbye to our cottage on the hill and headed back to Dublin for one last night. It was strange to drive on a major highway for most of the way! We stayed at our cozy Georgian townhome again, where Tyler and I settled in for a brief rest while Curtis and Maggie set out on a final shopping spree.


Here are some views of our Fitzwilliam neighborhood. First a look out of our third story window. Can't you just imagine horsedrawn carriages filling the tree-lined avenue?


And here's a view of our corner. Even though the traffic was pretty well non-stop and we kept our windows open at night, the noise didn't keep us from sleeping.

By the time Maggie and Curtis returned from shopping, we were all starving. As we went out in search of dinner I couldn't help shooting a few more of the architectural features in the neighborhood.

We took some time to stroll through St. Stephen's Green. I wish we'd done this earlier and had more time to loiter.


Now-intense hunger and homesickness for "normal" food made us cheer when we saw this sign:


Dublin is just a lovely city. Not too big, and packed with charming details. It's one of the few cities I've visited that I think I could call home.

And how cool would it have been to live in a Georgian townhouse like this?!



I'll close this final Ireland post with the face that greeted us at the airport and picked us up at 6:00 a.m. for our flight back home. This is Niall, the friendliest, most delightful driver on the planet and someone we all regretted not getting to spend more time with. We hope all is well with your new baby, Niall! Maybe on our next trip we'll get to see pictures!


I have no more words for what this trip meant to me. These seem fitting:
Brigid that is in Faughart,
Blinne that is in Killeavey,
Bronagh that is in Ballinakill,
May you bring me back to Ireland.
The Emigrant's Prayer

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful place, beautiful people, and beautiful pictures! (makes me want to travel) :)

    ReplyDelete