Friday, July 3, 2009

I just finished teaching a photography class to a fun bunch of teens as part of Brazosport College's summer enrichment program. Wave at Dylan, Emma, Erin, Henry, Kaitlyn, Siarrah and Zach:

We did our best to explore a wide variety of settings around the college without overly tormenting everyone with our, ahem, exuberance. You know what fuddy-duddies adults can be, simply because they've forgotten what it's like to be excited about learning something new and making new friends.

Anyway, all seven of my young photographer friends came to me with a good deal of camera experience. We worked on some foundational skills such as locating interesting subjects, experimenting with changes in perspective, eliminating clutter to simplify our images, and manipulating exposure settings to blur and stop motion. Here are some of my own efforts at putting those principles into practice:





Our class met in the afternoon, so of course we were shooting during the absolute hottest part of the day. During a heat wave and drought. Ack. I shot these next pics on the day I nearly succumbed to heat stroke. Awesome blue sky though, huh?


Whenever possible I headed for the shade and looked for lovely green things struggling to survive the blazing sun.

I saw this next little scene and thought it would make a soothing composition. During our Photoshop classroom time, I made the innocent mistake of showing the kids some quick ways to do super-groovy things with their images. From that point on, nearly every one of their photos got some sort of super-groovy treatment instead of standard refinement.


The last day we each took turns corraling the whole gang and posing everyone for a group shot. I think the main lesson was learned: it's tough being a group photographer! People don't listen, don't move where you want them, don't look at the camera, and don't stop talking all at the same time. The photos below were actually taken on earlier class days so I could get them printed for their portfolios assembled during the final class.

I don't have to wonder whether you had a good time in class, you party people. I DO wonder what photos you'll send to me from your upcoming summer adventures. Just remember all of the things we worked on together and I know you'll continue to create great images!
You've been a good apprentice to me,
a part of my teaching, my manner of life,
direction, faith, steadiness, love, patience, troubles, sufferings...
Stick with what you learned and believed,
sure of the integrity of your teachers.
2 Timothy 3:10, 14 MESSAGE

1 comment: