Saturday, July 25, 2009

I can't keep up! We're seeing so many terrific things and I'm taking sooooooo many pictures (I know you're shocked). Here are some from Tuesday's visit to a wonderful place called Bethel on the outskirts of Beijing:


Bethel is a training center for blind orphans, children who would otherwise have no chance for adoption or training for a career. The increasingly self-sustaining facility is spread over 70+ acres with plenty of room for growing organic produce and raising animals. Here's Maggie visiting the bunnies:


Bethel is currently home to just under 40 children. A staff of 70 care for their needs -- nannies, teachers, cooks, housekeepers, farm workers and administrators. Here a class is being taught to read braille by a teacher who is blind herself:


Love pours from all of the caretakers at Bethel. They are overjoyed by each milestone and miracle their children achieve, whether it's learning to eat, learning to walk, or learning to button:


Beautiful little faces:



Right now all of the children live in dorm rooms within the main Bethel building, but new "family homes" are nearly ready for additional children:



This beaming smile tells the truth about Bethel: joy lives here!



The heart of Bethel is the Gauvain family. Guillaume and Delphine set out to find God's will for their lives, and they ended up serving His children in China. Guillaume recently published a book chronicling the first 30 years of their adventurous lives. He says, "China is a huge country. Caring for its poor and needy with such a large population is a challenge. We simply do what God has called us to do -- care for blind orphans -- and are thankful to China for allowing us to do it." (Love Is Blind) I was privileged to do a family mini-session for their family, beginning with some quick shots of Benjamin, David and Emilie:

L. O. V. E.



I would encourage you to visit Bethel's website, http://www.bethelchina.org/, and consider offering them your prayer and material support. I've been there. It is indeed a wonderful place.

The Lord says,
"Clear the road! Get it ready for My people."
Our holy God lives forever in the highest heavens,
and this is what He says:
Though I live high above in the holy place,
I am here to help those who are humble
and depend only on Me.
I know what you are like!
But I will heal you, lead you, and give you comfort,
until those who are mourning start singing My praises.
No matter where you are,
I, the Lord, will heal you and give you peace.
Isaiah 57:14-15, 18-19 CEV

No comments:

Post a Comment