Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Laurie here! We did indeed find a way around the Great Firewall of China!

Sunday morning we squeezed in a shopping trip before church (yay jet lag!) at the Dirt Market, named for its once-dirt floors that have now been paved. We looked so nice when we left the apartment, seeing as how we were headed to church and all. Within 15 minutes we were soaked with sweat and I had my hair in a ponytail. Oh well. I'm sure God understood.

Here are some glimpses of the wares to be bargained upon at Dirt Market:


Baskets and baskets of old Chinese coins caught Maggie's eye, so she picked out one that she plans to use as a necklace:



The Chinese way of doing business requires firmness and savvy, qualities I am sorely lacking. Fortunately we are being trained by two masters, Diane and Sri.


Maggie is showing more of an aptitude for this type of shopping than I am. Here's a set of calligraphy brushes that she was happy to find:



And here I am with the two flutes I bought after essentially no bargaining. I never realized what a polite, considerate, gentle, compassionate wimp I truly am. The first flute is made out of beautiful blue marble, I think, and was plucked out of a pile of opium pipes. The second one called me from afar when its merchant started playing it. It's made of bamboo and is going to take a bit more work to learn how to play.



Church was a thrilling experience when we finally arrived, and not just because of God's gift to mankind known as air conditioning. As we walked in, the band was playing a song our church learned a couple of months ago. People from every continent were there worshiping together and singing in multiple layers of harmony. A peek into heaven! I'll try to get you caught up on Monday and Tuesday's events tomorrow. If I don't completely melt before then, that is...
Hosanna! Hosanna!
You are the God who saves us, worthy of all our praises
Hosanna! Hosanna!
Come have Your way among us, we welcome You here, Lord Jesus
- Hosanna by Paul Baloche

No comments:

Post a Comment