Wednesday, June 30, 2010

After our Cliffs of Moher excursion, we came home and got gussied up for a medieval dinner at Dunguaire Castle about an hour away in Kinvarra. You might be interested to know that we tried and heard several possible pronunciations of Dunguaire:
dun-gware? definitely not, silly Americans!
doon-garry? only the dinner reservations lady pronounced it this way
dun-gwarr or dun-gwarray? seemed to be the most popular

Anyway, Dunguaire Castle is actually another fortified tower house built in the 1500s, but it felt plenty castle-y to us.



We got there a bit early for our dinner and used that time to walk along a lovely little path around the castle. So many growing things!



I believe this was my single "portrait photography" opportunity of the entire trip. I had to act quickly even to get these!

Especially because Maggie was in full-blown photo bomber mode that day. It's her new favorite thing to do ...
... and she even taught Curtis how to do it.
Finally the time came for our royal entrance.

We were first welcomed into the castle foyer, where we were served a cup of mead for a toast. Our maidservant said that she had plenty more if we needed refills, so, being thirsty, I pretty well chugged mine immediately. It was really sweet and tasty.

Have I ever mentioned that I'm not much of a drinker? I was tipsy after that one little cup.

Soon our servants performed a song or two and invited us upstairs for dinner and entertainment. I wish I remembered our manservant's name because he has a terrific voice and is about to embark upon a career in the opera. You'll just have to believe me when he's famous someday and I insist "I knew him when!"


For some people, this was a romantic, candlelit evening. For the four of us, it was just another opportunity to cut up and annoy one another. See what an accomplished photo bomber Tyler is becoming?


A full crew came out to fill our dinner plates, which were then served by our three multi-talented musicians. We had been a little bit apprehensive about what our dinner might include. Boar's head? Huge turkey legs? Turns out we needn't have worried because it was good ol' boneless chicken, green beans, potatoes and carrots.


After dinner we were treated to a collection of Irish songs, folklore and poetry. Again, these three really did a terrific job together.


Doongarry, Dungware, Dungwarray, Dunguaire Castle, we thouroughly enjoyed ourselves, even though we may never know how to correctly say your name!


Praise to the King of Plenty.
Praise every time to God.
A hundred praises and thanks to Jesus Christ,
for what we have eaten and shall eat.
Irish grace after meals

1 comment:

  1. Laurie, I will vouch for you and say that mead can be pretty darn strong! I really love looking at photos of your family together. You look like you all have so much fun around each other. I hope our family is just like that when our kids are that age!

    ReplyDelete