Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 2 in Ireland dawned just as cloudy and cold as the day before, but we just jumped out of bed and hit the streets anyway. Our first main plan of the day was to take a Hop On Hop Off bus tour of the city's main sites, which turned out to be a terrific way to get familiar with Dublin while easing into walking more than our out of shape bodies are used to. I'll just share some photos of St. Patrick's Cathedral for now. Just a normal Texas church, right?



No, I don't believe this is supposed to be St. Patrick. Who is he? Dunno. Ask Curtis or the kids. Wait -- they're all asleep like normal people!


The cathedral was magnificent and filled with awe-inspiring details from ceiling ...


... to floor.


We wandered around without a tour guide, mouths agape, speaking only in hushed tones. I guess you can see why.




Holy Eucharist is still held here on a regular basis.


I'm not exactly sure what these helmet represent, but I found them particularly fascinating.


This scripture on the pulpit is one of my favorites:
How beautiful are the feet of those that preach the gospel of peace.


Another lovely relief carving:


There were several special memorials like this in one section of the church. Again, I would need to ask Curtis for more details about them (maybe I can update tomorrow when he's awake), but I just thought they were compelling, almost lifelike.



Being an old handbell ringer myself, I really enjoyed this next bit of info. I hope you can read everything clearly. It tells the Latin transcription and English translation for Biblical reference inscribed on each of the cathedral bells. So wonderful to know that every note ringing out speaks of the One who is being worshiped!


I had to get Maggie and Tyler to pose here at least once, right? It looks a little bit like Maggie is singing along with the bells, but I'm pretty sure Tyler's just tickling her.


Back outside again to wait for our green Dublin Tours bus.


Just one to prove I'm really here!


Next up: more from our busy day in Dublin!

No comments:

Post a Comment