Tuesday, October 5, 2010

We drove up to San Marcos to visit our favorite girl the other day. While we were there we made the required pilgrimage to Aquarena Springs and took a ride in one of their glass-bottom boats.


I remember riding in one of these boats a lonnnnnnnnng time ago, but I distinctly remember lying on my stomach on the glass bottom and pressing my face to the glass to see the fish. Did I make this up? Are the boats different 45 years later? Only my mom and dad can answer those questions (if they remember), but I definitely did not get to press my face to the glass this time.

The top left photo shows one of the 200+ springs that bubble up to form the headwaters of the San Marcos River. Can you spot the turtle in the top right shot? All sorts of plants grow in the river, as seen in the bottom left photo, and one area of the river bed is currently marked off for an archaeological dig.

After the boat "ride" (more of a stop-and-go putter, actually), we decided to walk around the grounds a bit. Curtis is always ready to smile for the camera ... even if he has to sneak into the background to do so.


We didn't have to walk far to suddenly feel as if we'd stumbled onto the set of Lost. First there was the submarine that was our only hope for escaping The Island.


Then there was this odd, abandoned contraption. We couldn't find a sign for it, but I'm pretty sure this experimental station was once known as The Pod. Or The Portal. Or something.


Even the bushes were covered in cobwebs. I fully expected to see a polar bear or a shark or Fake Locke at any moment.


Seriously, how visually striking is this old place?! Yet another location I would dearly love to have closer to me so I could use it for senior portrait sessions.


It's a shame that Texas State University plans to tear down these old structures. Hmmmm ... I wonder how much it would cost to have them moved to Angleton?

They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations.
Isaiah 61:4

No comments:

Post a Comment