Thursday, February 10, 2011

Tonight I bring you proof that, at least sometimes, old dogs CAN learn new tricks.

See this dohickey? This little walkie-talkie-looking contraption? It has opened a whole new world of photography for me, one that I've been avoiding quite successfully for several years now.


My PocketWizards finally let me use flash to get the sort of lovely, natural-looking photos I adore rather than the harsh, overblown-yet-shadowy shots I refuse to shoot. See what I mean?

So I'm sure you're wondering, "How on earth did she do it?" Here was today's mini-studio setup in the Angleton Junior High band hall. Super impressive, eh? I had one PocketWizard on my camera, which triggered the PocketWizard attached to my flash, which was aimed up at a reflective umbrella, which was strapped onto the light stand.

And just like that -- MAGIC. I love these shots!


And I just love hanging out with kids. They say the darnedest things, you know. Things like (from left to right):
- "Oh, I look so pretty!!!" when they see their shots on the back of my camera.
- "Yes ma'am, it's ok," when I ask if their mom will like seeing them wearing lots of colored bracelets.
- "Got any gummi bears in there? Some gum? ANY kind of candy?" when I'm rummaging around in my camera bag looking for a memory card.

And they do the darnedest things, like sitting down and instantly striking their most fabulous pose:


So look out, awful lighting situations. I've still got more to learn, but I will not be avoiding you any longer!
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
Isaiah 43:19

No comments:

Post a Comment